Sunday, October 13, 2013

Daily Reading: The Cleansing of the Ten Lepers - 17:11-19






August 13, 2013
Indigenous People Sunday
28th Sunday in Ordinary Time
Gospel Reading: The Cleansing of the Ten Lepers
Lk 17:11-19

As [Jesus] continued his journey to Jerusalem, he traveled through Samaria and Galilee. As he was entering a village, ten lepers met (him). They stood at a distance from Him and raised their voice, saying, "Jesus, Master! Have pity on us!" And when he saw them, he said, "Go show yourselves to the priests." As they were going they were cleansed. And one of them, realizing he had been healed, returned, glorifying God in a loud voice; and he fell at the feet of Jesus and thanked him. He was a Samaritan. Jesus said in reply, "Ten were cleansed, were they not? Where are the other nine? Has none but this foreigner returned to give thanks to God?" Then he said to him, "Stand up and go; your faith has saved you."


My Reflection
How many times have I heard people say that we should be thankful for what we have and what we receive. I took this to heart, and as much as possible, I thank God even for the littlest things. Arriving on time at work. When I find a pedicab to ride on the way out of the subdivision. I guess it takes practice to thank him for everything, and I admit, even I forget to thank Him sometimes. But when I do, I really am grateful. I acknowledge the fact that everything I am enjoying now is because God willed it to be.

When I think about it, why do we forget to thank God for the blessings that we receive? Not even God, most of the time we forget to thank people who help us. I think this is because we feel that we're entitled to what we received. We feel like we deserve it and it was supposed to be given to us, so we don't need to thank anybody for giving us what is due to us, which is actually an incorrect mindset.

If we go back to last Sunday's Gospel (The Attitude of a Servant), we're not actually entitled to anything. We are mere servants of God, and yet he treats us with love and compassion. How many of us will treat our household help the way God treats us? Do we give our household help luxuries? Do we give them expensive clothing, classy food? No we don't. And yet these are paid workers, not even servants, unlike us who are the Lord's servants. We're not entitled to anything, he's giving us what we need and what we want and most of the time we forget to say thank you.

Sometimes, I think God also thinks the same way as humans. When we do something for someone, and they say thank you, we feel happy and appreciated, and when that someone asks for help again, we do not hesitate to help. I think it's the same principle with God. The more we thank Him, the more blessings we receive. I am living proof of this. God has NEVER turned me down. I always get what I want, or something better. ALWAYS. I think it's probably because I try my best to express my gratitude.

Why not try to make it a habit to thank God. Start when you ask for something. Wait for it to be done and then thank God for it as soon as it happens. I know that will put a smile on God's face!

No comments:

Post a Comment